As a student in F-1/J-1 status, it is required that you finish your program of study by the completion date on your current Form I-20/DS-2019. If you are not able to complete your degree by that date, you must contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to extend your program no later than one month before the program end date listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019.
In order to obtain a program extension, you must show that you have continually maintained status and that the extension is needed for compelling academic or medical reasons, such as a change in major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or a documented illness. Delays in completing your program caused by academic probation of studies or suspension are not acceptable reasons for extension of stay.
If you fail to extend your I-20/DS-2019 in a timely fashion or you do not meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a program extension, your F-1/J-1 status will be in jeopardy. In that case, please make an appointment with your ISSS advisor for more information.
How to apply for a program extension
Submit the following to ISSS (at least one month before the I-20/DS-2019 program end date):
- For both F-1 & J-1 students: Complete page 2 of this form with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor must complete all questions in Section B of the form.
- For both F-1 & J-1 students: Full time enrollment verification, which you request from the UConn Registrar (regional campus students may call the Storrs campus registrar to have this mailed)
- For both F-1 & J-1 students: Current proof of financial support documents for the requested extension period (see http://isss.uconn.edu/students/newstudents/financial-declaration-form/ for the estimated costs of your program and examples of acceptable financial documents)
The financial support documents for self-supported individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Official and original;
- No older than 3 months old;
- Must be in English;
- Must indicate specific fund amount;
- Must be liquid funds (checking and/or savings accounts); and
- If the support funding is from parents or a family member, please attach the sponsor’s bank statement a letter from him/her stating the willingness to sponsor, amount of funding and the duration of support.
- For J-1 students only: Complete the J-1 Exchange Visitor Medical Insurance Confirmation Form.
ISSS will then determine your eligibility for a program extension. If approved, an International Advisor at ISSS will update SEVIS with your new completion date and issue a new Form I-20/DS-2019 with the extended program end date.