General FAQs

How do I apply to UCAELI?

On Campus Instruction 

  1. Complete an online application for UCAELI’s Intensive English Program (IEP).
    • Pay the $150.00 application processing fee. If you did not submit this payment please go to UConn Marketplace.
  2. Students will receive an email with student credentials (Student ID, Net ID, Student Email).
  3. Pay the $350 enrollment deposit using UConn Marketplace. Please note that the enrollment deposit is non-refundable. You will not receive your I-20 until you pay the enrollment deposit.
  4. Complete the I-20 request on the ISSS website. You will need to prepare the following documents:
    •  UConn Financial Declaration form.pdf
    • Proof of funding documentation (example: Bank Statement) to support the Financial Declaration Form. Visit the ISSS website  for funding support documentation guidelines and to view estimated cost of attendance.
    • A copy of your passport and the passports of any dependents you are bringing with you.
  5. An immigration officer from ISSS will send a welcome email with pre-arrival information and further instructions on where to download the electronic copy of the Form I-20.
  6. After receiving your Form I-20, you may apply for your F-1 student visa through your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  7. Students will receive an official acceptance letter from UCAELI.
  8. Complete placement exams sent to you by UCAELI.

What is the enrollment deposit? 

The enrollment deposit is a $350 deposit required of all new and returning UCAELI students. This deposit guarantees your place in the upcoming  session. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you choose not come to the program at UCAELI, you will not get your money back. Also, if you choose to defer your acceptance to UCAELI you will need to pay the enrollment deposit again.

Deposits can be made here. Note you must have a credit card to make the payment.

When is the admissions deadline for UCAELI?

We do not have an official deadline to apply to UCAELI, but we recommend that if you require a student visa that you apply at least 3 months in advance. Since it will take time to create and send your documents and you may have to wait for 1-2 months for a visa appointment it is best to apply 3 months in advance.

If housing is required, we strongly recommend applying at least 3 months in advance as well. Housing is limited and in high demand at UConn!

Where is UCAELI?

UCAELI is located at the University of Connecticut’s main campus in Storrs. Storrs is located in rural northeastern Connecticut (CT) USA. Storrs is conveniently located with access to several major cities.

Time to Reach Storrs:

  • New York City – 2 hours 45 minutes
  • Boston, MA – 1 hour 35 minutes
  • Hartford, CT – 40 minutes
  • New Haven, CT – 1 hour 15 minutes
  • Stamford, CT – 2 hours
  • Danbury, CT – 1 hour 40 minutes

What is the weather like at UCAELI? 

UCAELI is located in Connecticut, which is in the northeast area of the United States. This area is often referred to as New England. We have four seasons: summer, winter, spring, and autumn. The summer season is generally June – August and is hot. Winter is December – February and is very cold and snowy. Spring is March – April and is warm and sometimes rainy. Autumn (also known as fall) is generally cool. Remember to bring clothing that is appropriate for the seasons that you will be here.

Is there public transportation near UCAELI?

On-campus Shuttles

There are free campus shuttles for UCAELI students. Shuttles travel around the campus bringing students from parking lots, off campus apartments and the university’s Depot Campus to campus to the center of campus. For the schedules and routes visit: UConn Transportation Services and click on Bus Schedules.

Storrs-Willimantic Bus

The WRTD bus travels from Storrs to Willimantic. Willimantic is the next city closest to Storrs. Willimantic offers the East Brook Mall and movie theater, several supermarkets for food shopping and access to many apartment complexes. The WRTD bus is FREE for all UConn/UCAELI students with a valid student I.D.

Peter Pan Bus Lines and MegaBus Lines

There are buses that arrive daily from Hartford, New York City and Boston.

  • Hartford – Storrs/Storrs – Hartford: two departures daily
  • New York – Storrs/Storrs – New York: two departures daily
  • Boston – Storrs/Storrs – Boston: four departures daily

Tickets may be purchased online. For more destinations, times, and fare information, please visit or

Please Note: Even though buses are arriving everyday from Hartford the earliest arrival time is 1:10 pm. This means that it will be impossible to use the Peter Pan bus as a commuter bus to campus because you will arrive too late to attend morning classes. For more information about public transit in Connecticut please visit

How do I get to UCAELI from airport?

The easiest way to arrive at UCAELI is to fly into Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. From Bradley International Airport, UCAELI can arrange an airport pick up service to the University of Connecticut.

From Kennedy Airport (JFK)

Option 1: From Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York take the AIR TRAIN to Jamaica Station (the last stop). At Jamaica Station transfer to the “E” Line (Blue Line). Take the “E” Line all the way to Manhattan and exit at “42 Street – Port Authority Bus Terminal” Take the Peter Pan bus from New York Port Authority Bus Terminal to Storrs, University of Connecticut. The ticket cost varies.

For a map of the NYC subway system please click here.

Option 2: Take a Taxi from JFK Airport to New York Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd St. Take the Peter Pan bus from New York Port Authority Bus Terminal to Storrs, University of Connecticut.

From Logan Airport (BOS)

From Logan Airport (BOS) in Boston take the Peter Pan bus to Storrs, University of Connecticut. Pick up the bus outside of Terminals A, B, C, E. The ticket costs $38.50 and you should pay the driver in exact change. Tell the driver you need to go to Storrs, Connecticut (UConn).

To arrange for airport pickup please contact: Ana Colón, UCAELI Program Assistant at

Can I park my car at UConn?

UCAELI students living off campus will be able to park their cars on campus. You will need to bring the following documents to the Parking Services office:

  • A letter from the UCAELI office to prove that you are enrolled in classes
  • UCONN Student ID
  • US or International Driver’s License
  • Vehicle Registration

The fee for parking at UCONN changes each semester. The Parking Services office has relocated from the Central Warehouse (orange) to the Facilities Operations Building (green) next door. Please click here for exact location details. 

For more information or for a parking map please visit Parking Services.

What are my housing options at UCAELI?

Can I live on campus?

Yes! Many UCAELI students live on campus. To live on campus, accepted students must fill out a housing application. In order to secure housing, students must fill out the housing form as soon as possible after being accepted and by the housing deadline. Accepted students will be notified of the housing application deadline. Students are not able to select which dormitory they will be placed in. Students may be placed in a single, double or triple room. Some dormitories have shared kitchens. Students who live in dormitories without kitchens are required to purchase a full meal plan.

Can I live off campus?

For information on apartments and rentals off campus please visit UConn’s Off Campus Housing site.

Do I need to have medical insurance at UCAELI?

For protection against the high cost of healthcare in the United States, all full-time UCAELI students are required by the University to maintain health insurance coverage.

Students may choose to be covered through:

  • A personal insurance policy,
  • A plan carried by their parents,
  • A plan provided by their scholarship agency, or
  • UConn health insurance – the group policy sponsored by the University, which is sold and administered through Wellfleet-Cigna Health Plan. In addition to a health insurance plan, full-time students are eligible for medical services at the University’s student health center. The center is open 24 hours a day throughout the week for routine medical care, illness and health counseling.

One of the benefits of Wellfleet-Cigna Health Student Health plan is that all medical procedures, related to an accident or illness, performed at the UConn Infirmary (Student Health Services) will be covered 100% under this insurance plan. Laboratory tests, x-rays and prescription medications are some of the benefits available under the plan. Always use the UConn infirmary first if possible. If you visit a doctor outside of UConn, you may be asked for additional information and it is very important that you respond in a timely manner (quickly) for your claim to be processed. For more information regarding student health insurance, please click here.

Student Health History Forms

Students must provide proof of adequate immunization or screening against measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, meningitis, and tuberculosis prior to the start of classes. 

Proof of Immunizations

Step 1: Obtain a copy of your official immunization record from you physician’s office.

Step 2: Go to Student Health Portal select “pending forms” and enter your immunization information.

Step 3: Upload your official immunizations record or Health History Form  under ‘document upload’ on your Student Health Portal.

For a list of mandatory immunization requirements please visit: Student Health and Wellness Website (SHaW) –  Immunizations Page and vaccine information statements

Please call or visit the Student Health and Wellness office to confirm the required immunizations have been completed.

Hilda May Williams Building
234 Glenbrook Road Unit 4011
Storrs, CT 06269-4011
Phone: 860-486-4700