The College Preparatory Experience provides language courses and unique study courses that prepare students for academic success. This program is designed for High Intermediate/Advanced students.
Outstanding Features of the College Preparatory Experience
- Conditional admission to Connecticut universities.
- Small class sizes.
- Conversation Partner Program to connect you with native speakers and practice English.
- UCAELI Proficiency Certificate can be use for full acceptance instead of the TOEFL or IELTS.
- A Pathway Program available to students with the opportunity to enroll in university courses for credit at the University of Connecticut.
Language Learning and Study Skills
In the English for Academic Purposes courses, students will learn how to:
- Write an academic paper
- Prepare effectively for tests using analytical skills
- Participate in a discussion classroom and identify classroom cultural norms
Students are enrolled in up to four English language courses per week. This includes:
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Listening and Speaking
- EAP Reading and Writing
- The choice of 2 afternoon electives or a UConn course
- the option for a UConn university course is only available in the Fall and Spring semesters, not the summer
All UCAELI courses are non-credit. Non-credit means that the courses do not have credits and students will receive a separate transcript for their non-credit courses. UCAELI courses will not appear on undergraduate or graduate transcripts. If a student requests a UCAELI transcript from the university Registrar Office, they need to request a “Non-Credit Transcript”.
Part-time study is not available for F1 or J1 students.
All students must have a high school diploma.
In your free time you can:
- Practice English by joining activities such as student clubs and organizations, outdoor games, shopping trips, and other fun events!
- Work out in the gym or use the swimming pool.
- Attend concerts, plays, and other performances.
- Go to one of our many university sporting events.
- Enjoy an exciting and diverse university community.