General English is great for beginner to advanced students
who want to focus on communication, reading, and writing in all contexts.
Outstanding Features of the General English Program
- Small class sizes with an average of 10 students in each class.
- Students create digital portfolios.
- Opportunities to explore American culture through trips.
- Conversation Partner Program connects English Language students with American students and local community members inside and outside the classroom.
- Students get individualized support and feedback for their goals.
Core Courses and Levels
There are three core English courses that all full-time students must take. These courses are Communication Skills, Focus on Writing, and Reading Discussion.
There are five levels for each core course:
- A1 and A1+ = Beginner
- A2 and A2+ = High Beginner
- B1 and B1+ = Intermediate
- B1 = High Intermediate
- B2+ and C2 = Advanced
Students are placed in core courses by placement tests (new students) or final course evaluations (continuing students).
Full-time students take core courses and choose two afternoon electives. Students must participate in 22 hours of English classes per week.
Part-time study is not available for F1 or J1 students.
UCAELI Student Life
In your free time you can:
- Practice English by joining activities such as student clubs and organizations, outdoor games, shopping trips, and other fun events!
- Work out in the gym or use the swimming pool.
- Attend concerts, plays, and other performances.
- Go to one of our many university sporting events.
- Enjoy an exciting and diverse university community!