A Proficiency Certificate is issued to confirm that a student is considered capable of academic work. A student must meet the following criteria to be issued a Proficiency Certificate. If these criteria are met, a proficiency certificate will be issued at the student’s request. The Proficiency Certificate is accepted as evidence of academic English proficiency for admission to The University of Connecticut for both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- EAQUALs scale score of B2 (high intermediate) in each skill area on a student’s class evaluation.
- EAQUALS writing score of at least B2 (high intermediate) on a timed essay or research paper.
- At least one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT score of 71 or higher
- TOEFL paper based test score of 525 or higher
- IELTS score of 6.0 (minimum of 4.5 on all subscores)
- MTELP test score of 85 or higher
- Satisfactory completion of the UCAELI EAP course
- Satisfactory completion of all course requirements, including attendance, leading to a UCAELI session certificate.